As CFP's we have the duty to act as fiduciary, and therefore act in the best interests of our clients. The CFP Board requires all professionals to meet their high standards of ethics which includes integrity, diligence, competence and honesty.
A CFP® professional must:
1. Act with honesty, integrity, competence, and diligence.
2. Act in the client’s best interests.
3. Exercise due care.
4. Avoid or disclose and manage conflicts of interest.
5. Maintain the confidentiality and protect the privacy of client information.
6. Act in a manner that reflects positively on the financial planning profession and CFP® certification.